Saturday, September 20, 2008

Wait Just an Apple Pickin' Minute


Bea and I went apple picking today just outside of Portland at Snell's Family Farm. The trees were loaded with fruit, and by fruit I mean apples. I my prior apple picking experiences it's almost always been necessary to use the picking sticks to get apples, but that was not the case here. The trees were loaded with easy to pick apples that were accessible with human-sized arms. It made me think that all those orchards I've picked at in the Milford area let you do PYO after they (the farmers) have already picked all the easy ones and they leave you to do the hard work.

I must confess though, I really like using the picking sticks, not only are they fun, but they slow the process down and force you to really spend more time in the awesome orchard, and it makes it more of a challenge.

All in all we ended up with a 1/2 bushel of McIntosh(a favorite of mine) and a 1/2 bushel of Macoun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home