Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pickling 2008: Episode I


my pickled flying saucer squash


This afternoon was spent getting my picklin' on. The last pickling I did was in 2006 in Wyoming. I made many a delicious spicy dill pickle and dilly bean out there. This year I am expanding the scope.

Today's Pickling:

Beets - from the Portland Farmers' Market
a) in a sweet pickling brine
b) in a salty dill spicy pickling brine

Radishes - from Broadturn Farm CSA where Bea is teaching
a) in a salty dill spicy pickling brine with lots of whole garlic cloves

Flying Saucer Squash - from the Portland Farmers' Market
a) in a salty dill spicy pickling brine

Overall, I pickled 9 pints and 3 quarts, so if you do the math that's a total of 1.875 gallons of preserved pickled goods thus far. I am looking for to see how these turned out, and also I am anxiously awaiting our own pickling cucumbers to reach pickling size...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home