Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I need an eggbeater

I was taking a look at the recipe I had chosen for tonight's soup when I realized I was going to need an eggbeater to whip the heavy cream. Immediately I felt like a food because I had just been at a Salvation Army (in Swanzy, NH) that had around 10 old-timey eggbeaters that were less than $1 a piece and I neglected to purchase one. Going back now was out of the question because they were closed and I deemed it absurd to drive all the way back there to track down an eggbeater. So, I went to Target before mealtime running some errands and strolled by the kitchen appliances looking for an old timey eggbeater (hand crank), alas, the carry them not, then I continued on by the electric sort without any intention of purchasing one and that's when inspiration struck!

I raced home and with MacGyver-like skills crafted my life's masterpiece:


With two pairs of needle-nose pliers, and a single coat-hanger, I crafted a crude whisk. Note: we do not have a regular whisk.


Notice the "$5.00" price tag; this drill was one of our many great finds at the Sheridan, WY Salvation Army

Bea was at yoga while all this was going down, but I had everything completed by the time she returned, the soup was delicious, and she was none the wiser . . . until I told her after we ate. As I suspected she was somewhat concerned with the condition of the coat-hanger, but I assured her that it was a sound practice and cleanliness was my highest priority. She asked me if now we would keep the drill in the kitchen or with the tools; we haven't decided yet, but I think I will pick up a single beater attachment (if they have any) at the Salvation Army next time I'm there and then retire my flimsy, off-center, coat-hanger whisk.

The Recipe - Squash/Apple/Curry Soup with Horseradish Cream

Cook up this stuff:
* 2 tbsp. butter
* 1 onion, diced
* 2 tsp. curry power
* 3 3/4 c. vegetable stock
* 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cubed
* 1 apple, peeled, cored & sliced
* 3/4 c. apple juice

Whip up this stuff:
* 1/4 c. heavy cream
* 2 tsp. horseradish
* 1/2 tsp. curry powder

Serve with cream on top. Delish.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats pure genius, my kitchen aid stand mixer's whisk broke a few weeks ago and ive just been lazy to go out and buy another one and this worked perfectly

December 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home