Saturday, November 17, 2007

Mount Monadnock - Dublin Trail


Good ol' me at the summit of Mount Monadnock


Dublin Trail to Mount Monadnock summit 3159'
2.2 miles, 1700' elevation gain
Start 10:00, Summit 12:00, End 13:00

A wonderful day for a hike. There was no snow at the trail head, but once I started going up, there was snow all over the place. It ranged from 1/2 inch to 8 inch drifts at the summit area. It had rained all around Souther New Hampshire yesterday, but the mountain was just high enough to receive snow instead - a fresh healthy smattering that was very picturesque - it made the trees look like trees you'd see illustrated in Christmas stories.

I haven't really ever done snowy mountain hiking, and even though there wasn't much snow, it was a pretty intense hike for a pretty measly hike, if you take my meaning. The thing is, most of this trail is a nice water runoff for the mountain which in turn turns to ice when the temperatures drop - I was not aware of this beforehand. That's not really a problem in itself, but I would have liked to have some sissy-sticks or some ice cleats or something because about half way up the trail consisted only of rocks covered with inches of ice and I had to do a fair amount of scrambling to continue.

It was worth it when I arrived at the top, but I was disappointed to find that the only wind-free nook where I had planned on heating up my tin of baked beans had been urinated in. Great. So, after admiring the view through the biting wind (Boston skyline in the distance - white Mount Washington on the opposite distance), I started the slow slip down the mountain.

I would describe the descent down the trail as perilous. I spent most of the time sliding down large ice covered rocks both intentionally and accidentally. I think I lost count of how many times I flat out fell after 7, but no real injuries, and to my knowledge nobody saw me do any of my cartoon like spills.

On my way down I passed a large youth group on its way up. They had to be the most ill-equipped group of hikers I have ever seen. Sure it's not a huge hike - but it's freezing, windy, icy, etc. and most were wearing sweatpants/shirts, sneakers, no gloves/mittens, no extra clothes, and very few had water. Bad news, I'm sure they turned back before the ice got too crazy.

Anyways, awesome hike, one more of the Mount Monadnock trails completed. I aim to have done the whole lot of them by the time we're finished here in Keene. I will have some photos posted on the site of this soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

October 23, 2008 at 4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

October 27, 2008 at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home