Monday, January 26, 2009

Peter Peter Pumpkin Ale - vol. III


Jon helping me rack the beer

The beer looked like it had finished fermenting by Friday afternoon, 5 days after it was brewed, so I threw it in the cold room over the weekend and today we racked it. The specs:
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.012
ABV: 6.7%


The pumpkin in mid-rack

I took a big ol' whiff (waft) of the hydrometer sample and it smelled somewhat rancid - not outright foul (eg. compost), but like an fairly infected beer. Had it smelled somewhat decent I would have primed it with some DME to let it carbonate naturally, but I was pretty sure after smelling it this afternoon that it was going to be a failure, so we just racked it to a keg and put some CO2 on it to force carbonate it. I'm going to give it two weeks or so to absorb some CO2 and then we'll give it a proper tasting.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fact: That looks NASTY

Fact: I wouldv drank it if you served it to me just not to hurt your feelings

Fact: Im still planning to being in Portland on 5/16

April 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home