Friday, November 10, 2006

Celiac's Disease

My dad has been diagnosed with Celiac’s Disease, so he can’t have any more food containing gluten. I feel real bad for him, that means no more beer among many other things. I have been doing some extensive research recently on making gluten-free beer. Technically speaking, if going by the German Purity Law put into effect 5 centuries ago, there’s no such thing as gluten free beer, but by that same law, most of the beers on the market technically wouldn’t be considered beer. By that traditional law, beer can consisty of only four specific ingredients: water, barley, hops, and yeast. Celiac beer can be made with grains (corn, rice, spelt, buckwheat, etc.) that don’t contain gluten, but the process takes a lot more steps than regular home brewing, but I think it’s worth a try once I beef up my brewing chops in the future.

The good news for dad is that he CAN drink scotch, whisky, gin, etc. even though some hard liquors are produced from barley, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home