Monday, September 5, 2005

Ireland

We have met some very funny people while in Ireland. Here are just a few:

- Our hostel roommates. Four boys from England, whom we never see because they stay out drinking until after we go to bed and don’t wake up until after we have left. But they have done some funny things like when I talk they don’t understand what I am saying. My accent isn’t much different from theirs, is it? Also, they say “Pervy.” Also, the other night I woke up when they came in and were talking and I heard them say, “Does she shave her armpits?” And I thought they were talking about me, but then I realized they were actually talking about someone one of them wanted to break up with and another said, “Just have her mum, then she’ll lose you.”

- Our guide on Wild Wicklow Tour. Which was also my favorite day in Ireland, because we didn’t just see Dublin. He kept pulling over (on the wrong side of the road) and picking blackberries for himself to eat. Also, he kept saying (in his awesome Irish accent) "True story, this is a true story as true as I am sitting here. Now this is a true story…" And somehow, he had been in every famous person’s house that we saw, which was a lot. And he gave everyone Jameson whiskey after a long walk and before lunch. He told us to all have a couple o’ pints at the pub at lunch and get drunk so we’d see elephants. Then after lunch he asked if anyone was drunk. Nobody said they were and he kept saying, “You’re all drunk, the lot of you, let me see your eyes…You’re drunk…and I know,” and then he drove us by a Sculpture garden that was filled with statues of elephants. He was a funny Irishman.

- There aren’t any more really good ones, but if you sit by the river Liffey you may find many hooligans of all ages drinking pints (and I am not sure if it is legal to drink in public here, but nobody seems to mind) or running from the cops because they may or may not have a pocket or hand full of weed.

Of course, we have done the tourist thing as well, gone to all the cool buildings, Dublin Castle, Irish Museum of Modern Art, St. Patrick’s Church…Guinness store house, Had a pint (or two) in the Temple Bar area. (And we also found a delicious vegetarian café and a certain yummy, Bad Ass Café.) And it has been swell, but I am more excited to go to Germany, Switzerland and Italy where we will be staying with the Natives.

Local brews we’ve had:
- Guinness
- Carlsberg (the official drink of the Irish football team)
- Murphy’s Irish Stout
- Bulmer’s Vintage Cider
- Kilkenny’s
- Bailey’s Irish Cream

I would also like to write a Disclaimer:
I take no responsibility for the hundreds of pictures Peter has not only taken of me, but put online. I apologize to any who were hoping to see more pictures of our trip, and less pictures of me, smiling, looking silly or taking pictures of things.
My sincerest apologies,
-Bea-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home